Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Buck of a Lifetime






We haven't yet started general firearms season/dog season here in Louisa, VA, but I wanted to submit this picture to highlight me taking advantage of the new rule change in VA allowing hunters to use dogs on leads to track wounded/killed deer/bear. I shot this buck at 80yds with my .50cal Knight Muzzleloader shooting 150gr pyrodex pellets, and 250gr TC shockwave ballistic tips. The buck was in a green field, and ran only about 50 yds total, but was in a dense oak thicket. I waited 30 minutes in which time I came home and got my beagle Cole. I returned to the field, and Cole who's just under a year old, literally dragged me into the woods and right up to my buck of a lifetime, his second recovery this week after he found a doe I shot who ran 50 yards into a thicket and across a creek. The buck gross scored 173 7/8" but after deductions scored 165 3/8". The buck was killed on a QDMA farm we've managed extensively for the past decade. This is the 2nd buck over 145" we've harvested in the last two years, and we've had 3 others score in the 130-140 range.
I'll hopefully soon be submitting pictures from our club dog hunts, but wanted to send this in not only because it's a huge Central VA buck, but also because my deer beagle Cole helped me recover him quickly. If he keeps this up I may start advertising our services in deer recovery. LoL Thanks for the great site as always and Happy Hunting!
Thanks,
Matt Craig
Perfect Ten Kennels
Louisa, VA.